POWER YOUR HOME
Creation Justice Ministries is pleased to announce our partnership with Groundswell, a nonprofit organization that simplifies the process of changing your home energy over to 100% wind power by negotiating lower prices through group purchasing.
Right now, if you live anywhere in the United States, you can switch your electric bill over to 100% wind power for just 1 penny more per kilowatt hour than your current rate. This is less than the cost of a movie ticket each month.
For every household that makes the switch, Creation Justice Ministries will receive a one-time small donation, but your biggest gift will be to God's creation. Get started by following the instructions below.
It is important that we lead the charge to care for God's creation -- starting at home. Signing up for wind power at home is like planting 177 trees or taking 2 cars off the road. Whether you rent or own your home, you have the right to choose clean energy. Creation Justice Ministries' 38 member communions have an estimated one million people in our network. Think about what an impact we can have together! All you need to prepare to make the switch is a copy of your electric bill.
Once you have your electric bill handy, the process is very simple:
Creation Justice Ministries and Groundswell are here for you.
Sign up for one of three briefing times:
SHARE WITH YOUR FAITH COMMUNITY
- Pulpit announcement: Right now, we invite members of our church community to live the commitment to stewardship of God's creation by switching your home's energy source over to wind power. This opportunity is available to home owners as well as renters, and there is no up-front costs. Learn more at www.creationjustice.org/wind
- Church bulletin blurb: Home owners and renters can live out their commitment to care for God's creation by switching to a clean energy source at no up-front cost. Learn how at www.creationjustice.org/wind
- Facebook Post: Please consider making a personal commitment to care for God's earth by switching to clean energy for your home. Home owners as well as renters can do it at no up-front cost. Learn more at www.creationjustice.org/wind
- Tweet: Join me and @CreationJustice in switching to clean energy: www.creationjustice.org/wind
- Find Christian education resources on energy to share with your faith community:
- Ethics of Energy: a Life of Abundance Download now.
- Energy Stewardship: Using Smart Grids and Emerging Technologies for Protecting God's Creation Download now.
- Bottom Line Ministries that Matter: Congregational Stewardship with Energy Efficiency and Clean Energy Technologies Download now.
CLEAN ENERGY SWITCH STORY
When my husband and I moved into our first house a few years ago, we did everything we could to go green. We got an energy audit, weatherized, and fixed inefficiencies in our HVAC and electrical systems. We looked into solar panels, but the enormous sycamore tree in our front yard casts too much shade on our roof. We were disappointed that our house was likely being powered by coal extracted through the cruel practice of mountaintop removal mining in West Virginia.
Two years ago, my family worked with Groundswell to make the switch to wind power. I learned about the Groundswell wind power program from my local Interfaith Power and Light group. I took some time to read about it. My dad always raised me to be suspicious of advertisements, and it sounded too good to be true. I decided it seemed legit.
I enrolled us by grabbing a copy of our latest energy bill and following the five steps outlined above. When I completed the five-minute process, I called Groundswell to make sure I was actually done. I worried I might have missed a step. A friendly woman at Groundswell took my call and confirmed that the process is, indeed, that simple.
The next few months, my husband and I looked closely at our electric bills. We saw a small increase in our monthly costs. With that increase came the satisfaction of knowing we were increasing the demand for clean energy in our community, and powering our house with the wind. Furthermore, it brought us an extra measure of satisfaction to know our switch benefited our local Interfaith Power and Light group, a nonprofit we respect.
We are proud to be able to make a difference in this way. We encourage our house guests and neighbors to ask us about wind power. To raise awareness of our switch, we put a small sign on our front door that says "We use 100% wind power." (You can also see our dog attempted to move the sign, as it slightly impedes her view of the front yard.)
Now, I am excited Groundswell has built the capacity and partnerships to take this program nationwide. I hope the Creation Justice Ministries community finds switching to clean energy as satisfying as we do.